Monday, June 18, 2007

Friends

The best thing, by far, about our time in Chicago were the wonderful friends that we made. We were surrounded by men and women (and their kids, too) who encouraged us in our faith, our marriage and in the adventure of seminary. We formed friendships early on that carried us through the three years we were there, and our lives are richer for knowing them. We have special memories with all of these people and hope to make more (memories) in the future!


The couples in our bible study (McCutchens, Strombergs, Stroms - and the Backlunds our first year) were consistently a part of our lives and not seeing them weekly since we moved has been really hard! We shared many life experiences and a lot of laughter with these people! (There were two kids in the beginning and five kids plus 2 on the way by the end!) Emily - I miss scrapbooking, Sunday night walks, getting coffee every chance we got, talking on the phone multiple times in a day. Greg and I miss playing games with you and Brian (girls vs guys, always!!) watching the Amazing Race and Lost, talking, talking, talking until too late at night, and having wonderful babysitters for Joel. Hope to see you in August!!

Katie - I miss my original walking partner (early mornings were SO fun, but coffee made it worth it!), our frighteningly honest conversations about everything, laughing until we cry, trips to Door County and Minocqua, feeling loved and included in your extended family. Greg misses seeing Lars every week and being involved in High League, playing Disc Golf and having spontaneous dinners together. We miss seeing your little red-headed angel.

Courtney - your laughter is contageous and being around you is always fun! I miss trading babysitting with you, spontaneous dates at the park, seeing our little boys play together and I will never forget the missing purse incident! I wish we had had more time to do these things together! We miss all the things our families didn't do often enough - dinners, just hanging out together...Joel misses Caleb a lot. (sorry for the old picture, it's the most recent one I have! Caleb is now almost 2, and as of last week they have added Jackson to their family!)
Christy - my partner in pregnancy! I loved being pregnant with you...trading babysitting so we could go to too many Dr appointments, walks to the park, breaking up fights between Anja and Joel (ok, I don't miss that part), great BBQ's in your backyard, and our all too short time together when you weren't working. We enjoyed your famliy so much...thank you for letting us be a part of it!
Our new neighbors, the Helgesons - even after you were there for a year Joel still called you our new neighbors! You guys were such a blessing to us in the short time that we knew you...your hospitality and care were a testimony to us and we will always remember the love you showed us and our kids (especially Joel). We miss our kids playing in the backyard, lunches (or coffee) with Lorraine, Greg and Bruce studying and getting lunch together, borrowing everything from eggs to oatmeal :) We hope someone blesses you someday like you blessed us!

Rolf and Sarah - Our fellow pacific northwesters! We had crazy connections with you guys - Rachel and also our parents going to elementary school together! We enjoyed the times we did get together, and we miss hanging out in the backyard, talking from the porch, complaining about the washing machine...again! We miss being there to see your baby and helping you this year (you will need it!). We expect to see pictures soon!!

Mark H - Joel always had so much fun with you...why didn't we have you over more?!? I know Greg misses being in classes with you (though maybe not the classes themselves) and the talks over lunch or breakfast.
Audrey Hovis - They played SO well together...they just entertained each other and didn't need a lot of adult intervention... the best kind of playmate! Joel misses you!






2 comments:

Jason, Jackie, Audrey, Will & Isabel said...

Oh, my eyes got teary when I saw little Audrey's face! That is so sweet - Audrey asks where Joel is every now and again. She is having a hard time grasping that Joel, Ty, Caleb and Levi have moved. Man - that was a lot of buddies to move at once. Thankfully she still has the Wheelers otherwise we would be in big trouble! :) Hope you guys are awesome and love to catch up on these blogs. Hugs for you all! - Jackie Hovis

erik and courtney said...

Jen, Greg, Joel and Maren! We miss you so much. Caleb loves to look at pictures of Joel and see what he is up to. I can't believe he is already 3 and riding a scooter! I wish right now I could walk out my back door and play at the park with all of you. miss you tons!
Courtney