Saturday, September 13, 2008

*Fun* with Rice

So I saw this GREAT idea on my friend Courtney's blog (link to the Strom's on the left), and I went out and bought a big tub and a 20 pound bad of rice the next day!

Maren and Joel thought this was the best invention ever, and the first time, they played for over an hour - they were so quiet and didn't fight at all...it was a miracle!

Ah, the sweet silence of kids engrossed in play.

One time I came out to check on them and Maren was in the tub, and had rice stuck to her face...who knew snot could be such a great adhesive!! :)

And Joel, his sweet little helpful self, got out the little broom with out me asking him, and started sweeping up all the rice they had spilled!

**So since this first blissful afternoon with the rice box, the fun of it (for me) has deteriorated. Now they both want to be in the tub, and fight over it because Mommy, not thinking ahead, didn't buy one big enough. They are also not as content to keep the rice "IN" the tub! One time I came out and they had dumped little piles of rice all over the bench in the dining room - and Maren was having fun slowly swishing it off onto the floor. And the kicker was when Joel, wanting to help clean up again, decided that sweeping the rice into the floor vent was easier than getting it in the dust pan (I hope our landlord never sees this blog!!). So needless to say, the rice box has not made an appearance in a couple of days! I did see an idea to put a sheet under the rice box, for easier clean-up, so I think I will try that when I am brave enough to get it out again!**

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Brian, Emily, Violet, and Jack said...

I was laughing so hard reading this, I can just imagine your face when you saw them with the rice! Great talking today! Love ya!

erik and courtney said...

so funny! i was all excited that you go one...but your additon at the bottom cracked me up! we colored our rice (rubbing alcohol and food coloring, mix in ziploc bag and spread out to dry)...maybe you could do that and somehow convince them that colored rice MUST stay in the box. Good luck.